Easy south indian style tomato dal aka the legendary "Tamata pappu".
- Toor Dal – 3/4 Cup
- Tomatoes – 2
- Green Chillies -2
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Curry Leaves – Few
- Fenugreek Seeds – a few seeds
- Urad Dal– 1tsp
- Chana Dal- 1tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1 1/4tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/8tsp
- Ghee – 2tsps
- Pressure cook the washed dal with roughly chopped tomatoes.
- Once done, add red chili powder, salt and turmeric powder to the cooked dal.
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai. Once the ghee is hot add the urad dal and chana dal. After a short while add the fenugreek seeds and wait till aromatic. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Quickly add curry leaves, green chillies and asafoetida.
- Add the cooked dal to the kadhai and mix well.
This recipe is adapted from http://www.gayatrivantillu.com/recipes-2/lentils/tomatopappu
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.